Thursday, September 15, 2011
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Last week we set up a booth outside of Horace Mann (as most of you know). I think it was pretty successful! Most of the people we met were eager to hear about the debate, and I'm sure that the turnout will be great once we do have it! Here are some pictures from the event :)
- Laura Asaro (Historian)
Friday, September 9, 2011
The debate has been moved to Wednesday at 8pm on the 28th. I received an e-mail last night from the BSU saying that the format had yet again changed. I specifically told Ron Williams, director of the CREW office, that we would not participate in a debate over the existence of god. We are already a misunderstood group; I am not leading us into a room full of people to say, "Your god is not real, and here is why." Our mission is not to disprove god. The e-mail I received listed topics, the first two about the existence of god. None of the topics that we were interested in discussing were listed. I met with Randy (minister at the BSU), and we decided to talk to Ron about our concerns. As usual, he denied his office had made any changes. I told him I couldn't be certain it was coming from the CREW office, but I felt that there were forces at play that wanted this discussion to turn into an argument in order to attract a bigger audience. He said he never approved the "does god exist question," but the person who came up with the topics was there and said, "I showed it to you." His reply was that he didn't read it. I was tired of dealing with the constant changes and incompetence I had experienced with the CREW office, so I told him I did not feel comfortable working with any more, and that if it was alright with the BSU (which it is), we would just work directly with them. I will be making a new event, and we will have to work hard to promote the corrections. It's going to be in the regent's room to promote a more academic feel. We already reserved the room. I will also be making a group with the BSU students so we can hammer out a format. Both sides will also be sharing the questions before hand. Thank you for your patience and support. I think things will go much more smoothly now that the CREW office is out of the picture. If you have any questions, please let me know via e-mail or facebook, and I will try to answer you as soon as possible.
Sunday, September 4, 2011
Next Wednesday & Thursday (September 7th & 8th) we are passing out some of the cool gear that the National SSA sent to us to promote the group. We will also be promoting the religious debate at these tables. We will more than likely be set up near Horace Mann because that covers a lot of student traffic. I made this list according to when you guys told me you would be available. If you can't make it stay the entire time, that is fine. I just want to make sure no one is ever at the table alone. If you weren't at the meeting last week, but still want to participate, just show up or contact me if you need more details! Here is the link to the time chart!
SSA of ECU President.
SSA of ECU President.
Saturday, September 3, 2011
Secular Alliance Meeting
- Meeting started at 7:00 p.m.
- The agenda for this meeting went as follow:
- Debate (BSU)
- Cool SSA swag!
- New Business
- President - Sarah is the new president
- Vice President - Nick is the new vice president
- Treasury - Daniel is the new treasurer
- Secretary - Derrick is the new secretary
- C.S. (Community Service Director) - Casey is the new committee substitute
- P.R. (Public Relations) - Mark is now involved in public relations
- Historian - Laura is now involved as the new historian
- Events: Debate
- The event will be a debate between Secular Alliance and the BSU
- Ice cream will be included for this social gathering
- The date for this will be September 13 at 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.
- Secular Alliance Booth
There will be another booth set up on Thursday, September 8th as well
- The objective is to pass out things relating to the Secular Alliance and information on what an Atheist or a nonbeliever is
- Secular Alliance needs ideas for a possible float to use in Homecoming
- Next meeting will be September 14th at 7:00 p.m. in Horace Mann, room 228
- Free Thought Convention
It will be $69.00 for student and $31.00 for the hotel
- Meeting was ajourned at 7:43 p.m.